The City Council reiterates that eviction from a private rented accommodation is illegal until January 11th as part of emergency COVID measures. Anyone facing eviction can contact the council on 01865 252267 or find more advice online.
Two in Headington Ward this week:
- An extension at 117 Staunton Road
- A reclassification as a Home in Multiple Occupancy (HMO) at 182 Headley Way
As always, click through the links to view details or comment.
We are putting the following motion before Oxford City Council to support British students currently living in another EU nation:
Oxford should be rightly proud of its record for fighting against injustice, for its record in supporting access to university for all students, and fighting to retain Oxford’s connection to Europe. The Brexit lies and misrepresentations have taken us down a dark period in our country’s history and there’s little doubt that, whatever the outcome of the negotiations, Brexit reduces our right to live, work and retire in over 30 countries. It’s divided the nation and driven many away, and the government, intentionally or unintentionally, continues to sever ties, even with its own citizens.
Frequently overlooked are those British citizens who sought to live or work in the European Union as many have done over the years. Many of their children are often enrolled in their local British school. Most retain links to the UK.
Until now British students living anywhere in the European Union were included in the home fees agreement (British students who happened to live in an EU country could return to study at a university in the UK and be treated as “Home / EU”).
After the end of the transition period and as of 1st January 2021, British passport-holding students living in the European Union will no longer meet the residency qualification for UK universities. They will be treated as foreign if they’ve not lived in one of the UK’s four nations (England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland) for three years up to when they start the course; and liable to the international fee rate. Yet these same British students will also be seen as foreign in European Universities, where the fees are dependent on nationality, and therefore charged accordingly.
We do not believe that the vote to leave the EU intended to forsake all those British children and their families who had taken the opportunity of living and working in the European Union. The law needs to change to enable those British students living in the EU to be given the opportunity to attend a British university. The opportunity to re-establish ties with the UK. The opportunity for a Higher Education.
Council calls on the Leader to write to the Secretary of State for Education:
1. requesting him to ensure that all British citizens who are resident in the European Union, who are planning to study at UK universities, have access to the home fees rate.
2. asking that they should also be granted access to be able to apply for student loans.
No child should have to go hungry. Even if the government won’t act our county council should. Join our call to make school meals free for children who need them during the holidays: http://www.oxonlibdems.uk/schoolmeals
Just the one this week, converting a stable into accommodation on Larkins Lane: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QHKC0RMFKYG00
A few recent applications in the Headington and Headington Hill & Northway wards:
- An application to remove trees at 6 Staunton Road: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QGC9F9MFKM300
- A porch alteration at 7 Woodlands Road: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QGHFL7MFKNU00&activeTab=summary
- An alteration to the development at 99 London Road, including attempting to remove building regulation, energy and water efficiency stipulations made in the original planning permission: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QGQOUJMFKQD00
- A request to allocate an extra parking space to a development at 5 Lime Walk: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QG2PJRMF17N00&activeTab=summary
- Replacing a garage with flats at 75 Headley Way: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QG4H4DMFKKA00&activeTab=summary
- A loft conversion at 9 & 11 Derwent Avenue: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QG4H94MFKKG00&activeTab=summary
- A preliminary application to turn the Barclays at 105 London Road into flats: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=QH23PLMF17N00&activeTab=summary
Just one application in Headington Ward this week: an application to alter the roof and convert the loft at 117 Staunton Road: https://public.oxford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QGDQ8BMFKMA00