Here is our latest list of questions sent in by residents
- What are the working hours? Will it include weekend working? On what dates will be the work be in my area?
- If work starts at either end simultaneously, will Old Rd and London Rd be affected at the same time? Will whole roads be closed either end?
How does it work?
- Can they explain the technology? How much carbon reduction do they intend to achieve?at what cost? and cost/ ton? What is the benchmark above which it becomes unaffordable? if the planners are considering all aspects of carbon reduction then consideration should also be given to the manufacture of the steel tubing, (China?) fittings, and insulation plus the cost of storage and transport to site, storage, reloading onto vehicles to the various sections of the site during the installation. The fuel used in excavation vehicles, back filling and testing plus the non green effect of the traffic congestion that will occur throughout Headington throughout the contract period.
- How large will the trench be and what about all the other cables, drains, sewage. Size of pipes too
- Is it steam or water? If it leaks under high pressure, would this damage road and paths?
Extent of the disruption
- How will noise and dust be controlled?
- Will pedestrian access along streets be affected?
- How will highways and footpaths be kept clean?
- Can we see the detailed construction plan?
- Can we have our pavements and footpaths resurfaced following the work? What quid pro quo can we obtain for all the disturbance?
- Protection of trees? In Stapleton Road for example the line is very close to the kerb so difficult to see how trees can be protected?
- What are the arrangements for emergency vehicles?
- Will refuse collections operate as normal?
- What arrangements for parking for contractors’ vehicles?
- What alternative car parking arrangements will be made for residents who may be unable to park near their house/in their drives while the work is in their street?
16 Why hold a press launch – there could only be 4 or 5 press outfits interested, and why not have arranged to meet community groups already?
17 Have commercial and institutional organisations been informed? e.g. Taxi companies, delivery vehicles to/from main shops e.g. Blanchfords, Online grocery providers, Mace on ORC, Brookes, particularly re arrival at start of Semester 2 (NB at Ward Focus it transpired that Manager of Stagecoach was not aware )
18 Have the emergency services even been informed?
Consultation with residents
19 Can we have a liaison group comprising residents reps, councillors and the contractors to meet regularly throughout the project do deal with residents issues and various construction contingences? This worked well during the Brookes JHB project.
20 Who will enforce the agreed working arrangements? What are the statutory controls – as opposed to the contractual conditions?